Tuesday, November 16, 2010
This is my first time competing in one of these. I didnt get a chance to spend as much time on this as I wanted to. However what time I did spend on it, I made sure I had fun and stayed loose and with purpose. This is my robo humanoid take on Iron Crutch Li, one of the Eight Immortals.
You can go and check out the other submissions here.
Did a quick 1 hour study for the day. It's been a while and I felt like this was a great exercise for my eyes. I was noticing bigger shapes, and then subtle value shifts. Some stuff was hard to translate down, but thats exactly why I need to do more of these. You can also check the progress of this here:
Monday, November 15, 2010
So for halloween this year I did some cosplay ish. I went as Yun from SF3 Third Strike. Here is my progress shots and final result. Also I would like to thank my co workers for helping me out with this, and I would not have been able to complete everything without their help.
The very first thing I did was bought cloth and cut it based off of a pattern for a vest. I planned for the front of the vest to be closed, and just have it more of a slip on style functionality.
I ran into trouble doing the hat, I went through two, and found that fabric paint in the soft can form is just horrible unless you are planning on using only one color. My first go I thought was going to be a success after masking off the top. It ended up bleeding and didnt work out.
Attempt #2 Masked off the hat with Duct Tape and a plastic bag, before hitting it with an actual air brush and fabric paint. No more crappy soft spray fabric paint.
I made the patch on the hat out of some foam sheet I got from Michaels. I just hit it with some prisma colors and they tended to smudge a lot since I didnt wait very long to wait for the ink to dry. A fixative is definitely recommended for this process.
After remasking the hat, dying the other side, and completing the patch, and sewing it on, I am pretty pleased with the hat. The old one I tried saving with some spray paint, but even that couldnt cover up the bleeding. The original color of the dye I had is showing on the button on the mistake hat.
These arm sleeves were pretty much the first things I have sewn. I bought some elbow spandex gloves and cut out the appropriate fingers. I sewed the edges so that the spandex wouldnt fray.
and a close up...
By this time the jacket is begining to come together and the collar is attached and looking pretty bad ass.
I found a frog button pattern online, but figured that the over all look I wanted was a bit more clean, so I made some fake frog buttons out of the blue trim used for the collar. I was over sewing at this point. But the vest is pretty much complete.
Due to trying to keep the idea of a budget and time, I just picked up some $6 XL sweats from target ,threw on my adidas, picked up some long black hair extensions to make the braid, and called it a day. Eventually I will pick up the baggy kung fu pants and some kung fu shoes that look pretty damn close to what Yun wears.
A quick shave and...
Overall it was a really fun experience, and I was really enjoying how crafty you can get with projects like these.